There was a skating craze amongst the younger members of the community in the late 1880’s.
Mr William Yates built a skating rink on his land on Punt Road. The opening was in July 1889. Skating started at seven thirty in the evening with forty couples skating until eleven o’clock, stopping
for supper, then dancing commenced and the dancing was still going at daylight.
In the same year, a Mr Ralston erected a gigantic rink in the centre of town with the latest novelties and improvements, to satisfy the skating craze.