Punt Road was a very busy part of Hinton in the early days between the 1840’s and 1880’s with four hotels at the bottom of Punt Road trading during this period.
At the bottom left on the riverbank was “The Port Hunter Hotel” with a name change later to “Shanes Castle” then again to “The Red, White and Blue Hotel”. Next to this hotel was “The Farmers Glory” and across the road was “The Hinton Hotel” and “The Australian Hotel”.
The Hinton Hotel was destroyed by fire in October 1860. It was insured and rebuilt.
These hotels would have got business from passing river steamers when a wharf was built and our first punt crossing established in 1849 with settlers and people travelling through Hinton to Paterson and further up the valley.