A petition was sent to the Minister for Public Works, NSW for the building of a bridge over the Hunter River at Morpeth and one over the Paterson River at Hinton, as early as 1881.
Morpeth Bridge was not built until 1898 with our Hinton Bridge next, built during 1900 and opened to traffic on 13 February, 1901.
The Hon. John See, Chief Secretary formally opened the Hinton Bridge. Mrs T Pearse smashed a bottle of champagne and named the the bridge “Hinton Bridge”.
The builder was Mr S McGill and the Bridge Designer was Mr E M Deburgh, Assistant Engineer for Bridges.