During 1850, Charles Lawn, a farm machinery maker, built a Steam Flour Mill on the river bank between where the wharf and the bridge is now.
A lot of wheat was grown up and down the rivers between 1850 and 1870.
There were four other mills on the rivers in the area at Wallalong, Osterley, Morpeth and Phoenix Park. By 1870, rust eventually ruined wheat growing.
Charles Lawn returned to machinery making, selling his business to his two machinists, Mr William Yates and Mr Dea in 1871.
This partnership dissolved in 1873 and William Yates carried on the business.